The arrival of summer means days at the pool, family barbeques, picnics, sports and other outdoor activities. Follow these tips this summer to keep your whole family happy and healthy:
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. For low-calorie flavor, add slices of your favorite fruits such as melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for two hours.
- Protect your family from the sun: wear wide-brimmed hats, always apply water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Heat safety: avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest.
- Dress for the heat: wear lightweight, light colored clothing, choose light, breathable fabrics such as cotton, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Beware of Foreign and Unfamiliar items growing from the ground, such as poison ivy: Poison ivy is a common cause of contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction to something that comes in direct contact with the skin. Allergic contact dermatitis as a response to plants is sometimes referred to as allergic phytodermatitis. This condition can be quite unpleasant but does not pose serious health risks. Prevention of the condition is best. Poison ivy is one of many plants that produce a resin called an urushiol that can cause an allergic rash. Related plants include the familiar poison oak and sumac, which together with poison ivy, belong to the plant genus Toxicodendron.
Have a great, safe and healthy summer!
Doctors Express Memphis