Dr. Susan Besser, Doctors Express-Memphis Answers Your Medical Questions

-Every spring I get terrible hay fever. What can i do?

I would recommend you start by treating yourself with one of the over the counter allergy medications (Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec).  These medications work best if you start them BEFORE your hay fever symptoms begin (about a week before) and take them daily throughout your allergy season.  If these medications are not enough, there are prescription medications, such as nasal sprays, that may help.  Speak with your doctor about such medications.


-If I eat something I’ m allergic to, what does it do to my body?

Allergies can cause a variety of different reactions from the stuffy, runny nose, sneezing and itchy eyes of hay fever, to the allergic rash of poison ivy, to wheezing and trouble breathing. Food allergies can cause a variety of different reactions: rashes, trouble breathing, headaches, nausea and vomiting. There is no way to predict which reaction your body might have to the allergen. If you think you have food allergies, I would recommend you consult with an Allergist who can test you under controlled conditions and help you if you have an allergic reaction.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s